Friday, April 30, 2010

RON HOWARD TO DIRECT STEPHEN KING'S "THE DARK TOWER"

Now, this news will make Stephen King's fans happy, and I know there are quite a lot of them among our beloved readers. According to "Variety" Akiva Goldsman's "Weed Road" and Brian Grazer and Ron Howard's "Imagine Entertainment" are planning to buy the rights for the adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" fantasy series consisting of seven books.
"The Dark Tower" is set in alternate world resembling the Old West and focuses on the last member of an ancient order of gunslingers and his quest toward a tower that's also the center of all universes.
This mix of fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror and western has also been turned into a comic series by Marvel. Apparently the plan is to condense the seven book story into a trilogy on film, with Ron Howard in the director's seat.

11 comments:

  1. As a HUGE fan of this series of books this sounds AWESOME to me. I get the feeling you don't think it will be that wonderful. I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to Hollywood so I'm wondering: Am I out of touch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you have that feeling, Matt? I believe it will probably be a high-budgeted movie, and knowing Ron Howard, it will probably have a success at the box-office, even though I'm personally not a fan of his movies and his style.

    But this is a SF project, and everybody knows how much I support anything SF :))Can't wait for the casting to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst I'm thrilled the DT series might come to the screen, I'm not thrilled it's Ron Howard helming it. And I think it should be seven films. The stories are dense enough as it is. But I know that this last wish is unrealistic. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really intersting. I have not read much King, believe it or not. Just his 'On Writing.' But I like the Steampunk/SciFi feeling of this one. And I love Grazer and Howard!

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is making it in my Sunday roundup! My readers will love this.

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, I knew you guys would be intrigued by the news :)))

    R-Co, seven movies really would be a bit too much :)

    Michele, thanks in advance for "roundin' us up" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could be interesting. I still haven't read the books (or comics). I don't know much about the story, but I heard some good things about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the main thing is that it's a sf project :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were never short on post-apocalyptic SF. Or time travel SF. Or alien/monster SF. Or even alternate_reality/alternate_history SF.

    We're short on clasic out-of-this-Earth SF. More of outer space adventure and true alien worlds/planets would be most welcome.

    Still, I'm happy that they have plans regarding this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, that's why I'm so happy about JOHN CARTER OF MARS!

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.